I describe my work as "a state of betweenness - 'twixt soft sculpture /'tween orchestrated public object installation with a studio affinity for abstraction and minimalism". I am in love with the transformative nature of materials, and how the combination of the familiar creates abstract relationships about place. This relational objectivity generates an open-ended narrative, ambiguous situations defined by the choice of materials and work ethic. Central to the psychedelic experience, I am drawn to reinventing Pop-Art colors by exploring shifts in scale and sculptural perceptions.
M.F.A. 2001 Sculpture, Installation University of Wisconsin-Madison
M.A. 2000 Sculpture University of Wisconsin-Madison
B.A. 1998 Studio Arts- Sculpture / Beloit College
Solo Exhibition/Public Installations/Performances
- Spectral Locus / The Albright Knox Museum / Buffalo, NY - sponsored by a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts
- At Night We Light Up/ Indiana Power & Light Building / Indianapolis, IN
- Lean On Me / Abrons Art Center and The Henry Street Settlement / New York, NY / in collaboration with the Good Companions Senior Center
- CounterPointe / World Premier of “The Edge of Sunset Gems” a dance choreographed by Eryn Renee Young / XAOC Contemporary Ballet / Spon-sored by Norte Maar Gallery and The Actors Fund Art Center
- Prismatic Illusions / Anderson Gallery and Center for the Arts / University of Buffalo, NY
- Woven / Flint Public Art Project / Cook School / Flint, MI
- Triumvirate! / Pelham Art Center / outdoor fabric installation / Pelham, NY
- Magic Chromacity / AEIVA and Alys Stephens Center / University of Alabama, Birmingham / draped building installation / Birmingham, AL
- In Bed, installation at VOLTA Art Fair, for Bad at Sports podcast, New York, NY
- End of the Infinite: Amanda Browder / University of Montana Performing Arts Building / three-piece draped building installation / Missoula, MT
- Future Phenomena / Kickstarter Block Party / Brooklyn, NY
- “Good Morning!” / FAB Festival / Sponsored by FABnyc / Rockefeller Innovation Fund/ New York, NY
- Cascading Mississauga / City Hall of Mississauga and the Art Gallery of Mississauga, Canada
- PRISM/LIVIN/ROOM / Allegra LaViola Gallery / New York, NY
- Triangle Eyes / Ideas City Festival / New Museum / New York, NY
- Chromatic Hi-Five! / Lyden Sculpture Garden / Milwaukee, WI
2012 Hello Niagara! / Dumbo Arts Festival, Brooklyn, NY
- SPELUNCA / TotalFest , Missoula, MT
- Chromatic High-Five! (Brooklyn) / Reverse Space curated by AD Projects, Brooklyn, NY
- Prismatic Vortex / Arts @ Renaissance , Brooklyn, NY
- What Could You Do Here : collaboration with Tara de la Garza / sponsored by Chashama / New York, NY
2011 Chromatic Hi-Five! / Nuit Blanche Public Arts Festival / LEITMOTIF - curated by Stuart Keeler / Toronto, Canada
- Los Monstuous / SWAB Art Fair Installation, Barcelona, Spain.
- Proxy Vacation / CULTUREfix / New York, NY
2010 Future Phenomena / Sponsored by the North Brooklyn Public Art Coalition and the Brooklyn Arts Council / Greenpoint, Brooklyn, NY
2009 Project 01, 303 Grand Gallery, Brooklyn, NY.
- La Bohéme, Desert Island, Sculptural Installation, Brooklyn, NY.
2008 The Edenic Fault, University Art Gallery at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, CA.
- “um…My, gallery”, Raid Projects, Los Angeles, CA. (curatorial project as piece)
- Cyclone, The Green Lantern Gallery, Chicago, IL.
- Master Skate, Hyde Park Art Center, Chicago, IL. (performance)
2007 Beautiful Flux, Nakaochiai Gallery, Tokyo, Japan.
- Urban Warp/Weft: At the Edge: Gallery 400, University Illinois of Chicago. IL.
2006 The Pinchot Sprial/Pencil: Missoula Museum of the Arts, Missoula, MT
- Dormant: Bonnie Fortune Outdoor Space, Chicago, IL
- Rapunzel: Sculptural Performance, Chicago, IL
- Rapunzel: POP! Contemporary Textiles Influenced by Popular Culture,
- Outdoor Public Fiber Sculpture NIU Art Museum, IL
2005 Chicago Sweep: Career Day Design Group, Public Performance in Chicago, IL.
2004 Love, Prosperity and Healing, HUE Gallery, Madison, WI
2001 Rodeo, MFA Exhibition, Porter Butts Gallery, Madison, WI
2000 Montana Wo Nobs, Installation and performance, 7th Gallery, Madison, WI
1998 Continuity of Space, Installation and performance, Wright Museum of Art, Beloit, WI.
1997 The Wind Project, Beloit College Campus, in front of Pearsons Hall,
- Commissioned by the Sesquicentennial Committee, Beloit College, Beloit, WI
2012 Bad On Its Own / Calico Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
- Forced Collaboration / Field Projects, New York, NY
- Spectrum Vision / Reverse Space curated by AD Projects, Brooklyn, NY
- Powerplay: A Sculpture Park / Bridgehampton, NY
- We Have Relocated - Kayrock Studios / Brooklyn, NY
- The Public Secret / Dino Eli Gallery curated by David Gibson, New York, NY
2011 Bitches Brew (New Art from New York 2) / Gallery Poulsen Contemporary / Copenhagen, Denmark
- Painting Pictures 2 / Art Jail Gallery, New York, NY
- Round Robin in Residence / AIR Gallery / Brooklyn, NY
- galleryHOMELAND / Gallery Homeland, Portland, OR
2010 #class / Curated by William Powhida and Jennifer Dalton / Winkleman Gallery, New York, NY
- galleryHOMELAND / Gallery Homeland, Portland, OR
- Isolated Fictions / Curated by Caroline Picard / Green Lantern Gallery, Chicago
- The Mobilnale 2 : Tina B contemporary Art Festival / Proxy Vacation / Prague, Czechoslovakia
- Fuzzy Logic / Curated by Audrey Mast / Des Lee Gallery, St. Louis, MO
- The North Georgia Gazette / Fluxspace, Philadelphia, PA
- Ecstasy / Round Robin Collective, Brooklyn, NY
2009 Invisible Dog, curated by Manon Sloane part of the No Longer Empty exhibitions, Brooklyn, NY
- Zombie: A Mindless Affair, Antena Gallery, Chicago, IL.
- Warm in the Shadows, Shea Stadium Gallery, Brooklyn, NY. Curated Duane Bruton.
- 7 in 6 / Time Vs. Space, curated by Lynn del Sol and Lisa Hedge / Williamsburg Gallery Association (WGA), Brooklyn, NY.
- Good News, University of Wisconsin Porter Butts Gallery, Madison, WI
- Look, see, Horse Trader Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
2008 Concerning Tomorrow, Harold Arts, 303 West Erie, Chicago, IL, curated by Jason Lazarus.
- Round the Coyote, Green Lantern Gallery, Chicago, IL
2007 Interiority Hyde Park Art Center, Chicago IL. Juror: Stuart Keeler
2006 Art 44/46 : Public Art Group Show for the Lakeview East Chamber of Commerce, IL.
- POP! Contemporary Textiles Influenced by Popular Culture, NIU Art Museum, IL
2005 Things we said we'd never do again, Western Exhibitions, Chicago, IL.
- In the Midst, Mixture Contemporary Gallery, Houston, TX, Juror: Scott Wolniak.
2004 Spacemakers, Lothringer13, Munich, Germany,
- Suburban Gallery, Chicago, IL
- "A More Perfect Union" at Max Fish, NYC
- The Nature of Reduction, Prater Rouse Gallery, Norfolk, VA
2003 Social Fabric, Lothringer13, Munich, Germany.
2002 Cheap, White Columns Gallery, New York, NY (invitational)
- In the Living Room, The Bower Gallery, San Antonio, TX
2001 Teeter-Totter, HUB Gallery, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA
- Catapult, The Viking Union Gallery, in the Whatcom Museum, Bellingham, WA
2000 Multiples 4, NFA Space, Chicago, IL., Juror: Muirhead Panya, Director
1999 Visions of Place, Beloit College Alumni Exhibition, Wright Museum of Art, Beloit, WI,
2012 Michele Basora and David Gibson / Inside the Art's Studio with Amanda Browder / Playspace Magazine, New York, Vol 1, 2012
Jennifer Mills / A Look Inside Greenpoint's Arts@Renaissance Space / The L Magazine / Brooklyn, NY, Mon, Feb 27, 2012
2011 Erin Berry / “Artfully Engaging” / Papercut Magazine / March pg. 63
Laura Elizabeth Barone / TemporaryArtReview.com / Romantic Notions at Los Caminos / Nov 11, 2011
2010 Holland Cotter / “’#class’” / New York Times / March 19 pg. C31
“Bringing The Community” / Fiber Arts Magazine / Nov/Dec
Aaron Short / “Insert Christo joke here” It’s a wrap for Eagle Street” / New York Post / June 23, Courier-Life
Kyle Leighton / “Greenpoint’s Next Façade” / Brooklyn Rail / May 2010
Elizabeth Lazarowitz / “ Arty sew & sews dress up bldg.” / New York Daily News / Tues, April 13, pg. 4
Aaron Short / “Sew what? These seamstresses will cover a building with cloth!” /
The Brooklyn Paper / April 2, Vol. 33, No.15
Juliet Linderman / “A Shift in Perspective” / Greenpoint Gazette / Apr 1
2008 Audrey Michelle Mast, “Review”, Sculpture Magazine, June Vol. 27, No.5, pg 71.
Damien James, “Review”, New City Magazine, June, 26th.
Ashley Schwellenbach, “Saddle up your Schwinn,” New Times, San Luis Obispo, CA, pg. 39
Samantha MacConnell, “Big Apple art scene comes to University Art Gallery”, Mustang Daily, Nov 12th.
2007 Garin Pirnia, “Portrait of the Artist”, New City Magazine, May 31st.
Jake Malooley, “Material Differences,” TimeOut Chicago, May 17-23, Issue 116, pg. 64.
Jason Foumberg, “Social Work,” New City Magazine, May 24, pg. 24.
Tokyo Art Beat, “Voted Best Exhibition in Tokyo” www.tokyoartbeat.com, March 4-12.
2006 Leah Pietrusiak, “Block Prints,” TimeOut Chicago, Oct 26-1, Issue 87.
Michael Workman, “Cityscape Chicago,” Flash Art, Oct., Vol. XXXIX, No. 250.
Rob Chaney, “Shadows of Meaning,” Missoulian, July 21, B1.
Alyssa Work, “Spotlight- Drawing in Circles,” Missoula Independent, Vol. 17, No. 29,
Jamie Kelly, “Look Sharp- That is one ‘ginormous’ pencil”, Missoulian, Entertainer,
Leah Petrusiak, “ Aesthetic Supporters,” TimeOut Chicago, July 22-29, Issue no. 69.
Michael Workman, “Eye Exam,” New City Magazine, January 24th
2005 “Career Day Team” Daily Constitutional Magazine, Issue 1., 2005
“Artist Story: Amanda Browder” Chicago Artist Resource Webpage
2004 “Cheap” Ten by Ten Magazine, Volume 2, No. 3, January, 2004
Margaret Hawkins, “Gallery Glance”, Chicago Sun Times, June 4, 2004
2003 Anne Erfle, “Auf Dem Teppich geblieben,” Süddeutsche Zeitung, Nr. 156, July 10, 2003
Hanne Weskott, “Nette Ideen,” Süddeutsche Zeitung, Nr. 159, July 14, 2003
Freia Oliv, “Nackte Ängste,” Mümchner Merkur, July 16, 2003
Roberta De Righi, “Kuschelecke für Stadtnomaden,” Kultur, July 7, 2003
“Highlights-Chicago, Hyperlink” Contemporary Magazine, No. 51
2010 Brooklyn Arts Council - North Brooklyn Public Art Coalition - Future Phenomena
2007, 2008 Community Arts Assistance Program Grants: Chicago, IL
2004-present Correspondent/Critic for Bad at Sports.com – Art Podcast and Journal.
2004-2006 Instructor: School of the Art Institute of Chicago: Fiber and Material Studies Department
2001-2004 Instructor: School of the Art Institute of Chicago: 3D Studio: First Year Program
1999-2001 Instructor, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
2012 Arts @ Renaissance, Brooklyn, NY - Round Robin Arts Collective
2011 OxBow - NADA Art Fair Residency , Miami, FL
2010 Summer Studios – School of the Art Institute, Chicago, IL
2008 Raid Projects: Los Angeles, CA
2006 Three Walls: Chicago, IL , Summer. (with Bad At Sports Podcast)
2010 Winkleman Gallery, New York, NY - #Class Exhibition – Discussion on Art
Children’s Museum of Manhattan, New York, NY
The Trinity Project – Most Holy Trinity-St. Mary Catholic School, Brooklyn, NY
2009 Rocky Mountain School of Photography, Missoula, MT.
2008 Cal Poly, Art Department
2007 Savannah College of Art and Design, Art Department
2006 Northern Illinois University, Fiber Department
Women’s Art Collective of Missoula, Montana
Chicago Cultural Center – Bad at Sports Panel Discussion
2005 Third Coast International Audio Festival – Bad at Sports Panel Discussion – PRI Radio